Wednesday, June 20, 2012

How I learned about Soccer

We're currently in the middle of the 2012 Euro Cup. For those of you who don't know what that is, it's like the World Cup, only - you guessed it - just for European teams. Just like the World Cup, though, the Euro Cup happens every 4 years. Which means the last one was in 2008 - during my year in Zürich

Oh, and what's that? Not only was I in Europe for the Euro Cup, but Switzerland and Austria co-hosted it that year. So I was really in the middle of the action.
For the month of June the whole country turned into soccer-mania. Zürich had souvenir, food, and drink booths lining the streets and giant screens all around for public viewings. Public viewings are great, and something they really need to implement in the US. It is exactly what it says - a big screen put up in public to view the game. You don't have to pay anything, just show up, find a place to stand, and join in the masses cheering on your team! It's really one of my favorite parts about tournament season in Europe. 
Before that summer I'd never really seen soccer, and my knowledge of the game ended at "kick the ball into the goal." But, of course, after 3 weeks of soccer madness, and a social life that consisted almost solely of going to watch the matches together, I learned quite a bit! 
  
I loved watching the 2010 World Cup with my friends in Athens, but since the Euro Cup is where it all started for me, I have a particular fondness for it. Especially since I will always associate it with that summer in Zürich - which may or may not have been one of the best of my life (depending on how cheesy that sounds to you). 
giant captains from some participating teams set up in the Zürich main station
Of course Switzerland was in full support of their team, this basically means "Go Switzerland" 
My favorite public viewing screen, out on the Zürisee
The Fan Zone was always bursting during game time!
Limmatquai lined with fan booths and football enthusiasts
Heja Sverige! Shahida and I in full support of Sweden during one of their matches
Enjoying some post-match foosball, you know, cause there were just foosball tables on the street.



1 comment:

Jenni Austria Germany said...

remember when i thought shahida's name was china?

that was the same day that zac wouldn't give us a ride to the bahnhof.

aka your birthday.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...