Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Schnitzel, pt. 2

One day before all my guests arrived, I was flipping through an off-beat guide book of Cologne in the book store when I saw a recommendation for Bei Oma Kleinmann (that means "at Grandma Kleinmann's"). It was a restaurant known for it's amazing schnitzel and had very high reviews. 

It's a bit outside the city center, but when Patrick, Karrie and I went to Cologne we had just the perfect opportunity to head out there. 

When we arrived, we realized immediately that we should have made a reservation. This little restaurant was packed full with people and just enough room for giant schnitzels to be marched back and forth from the kitchen. 

But Oma Kleinmann did not leave us hanging! Everybody was super friendly and after 15 minutes and one beer at the bar, we had a place to sit. Now it was down to business. And I mean business. Take a look at that menu. Did you even know so many types of Schnitzel existed?!

Then the magic happened. The schnitzels arrived. No, not schnitzels... Monster plates of death, with fries underneath.


Remember that giant list of schnitzels? Well, the base schnitzels is always the same (see monster plates of death above), the difference came in the sauce. I loved that everybody got their own gravy boat of sauce. I feel like it really enhanced my schnitzel eating experience. 

I did the best I could, but in the end the schnitzel defeated me.
I told you there were fries under there.
Don't worry Oma Kleinmann, I will be back for round two! 

3 comments:

Pia said...

I live in Cologne, but I have never eaten there (I do know the restaurant though). I think I need to fix that immediately.

Alex, Speaking Denglish said...

Oh my wow that looks to die for! Heart attack induced death, but probs worth it YUM!

emily g. said...

pia - it's totally worth it! I was afraid it was going to be super touristy since I found it in a guide book, but I'm pretty sure we were the only non-Germans in there. I definitely recommend it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...