Friday, September 2, 2011

That one week it was actually summer in Germany

Ever since mid-April when it started getting warmer in Germany, I've been telling anyone who would listen about just how much hotter it is in Georgia. "You think this is hot? By this time in Georgia we could be frying eggs on the road"/ "It's humid outside? This is nothing compared to Georgia. Child's play, really. Unless you have trouble distinguishing between the outside air and the pool, it's not that humid" / "Speaking of pools, the water in our pool in Georgia is warmer than the actual temperature in Germany right now." etc.
I would like to say it was only bordering on obnoxious, but really, it probably went far beyond any imaginary line that should have stopped me. 

At some point in June I began to think that maybe I was giving Georgia too much credit. Sure, it is an extremely hot and humid state that, come end of July and August, tends to give Hell a run for it's money as most unbearable place ever, but did it really live up to all my trash talk? 

The answer, an incontrovertible yes, was made clear during my visit home in July. Yes, Georgia's weather was every bit as miserable as I remembered it. The 90ºf (32ºc) pool water felt like a sweet relief compared to the 100ºf (37ºc) air. 

So you can imagine how much of a shock it was coming back to Germany where the temperature did not get above 60ºf (15ºc) for the first 2 weeks of August. 

But some how, last week, the planets aligned and a miracle happened. For almost an entire week, Germany saw real summer temperatures consistently reaching into the 90s (30s). Finally, about 4 months after it came to Georgia, summer finally arrived in Germany.













I got to wear my summer clothes, sunglasses everyday, ice cream never tasted better, we even went to the pool. 


But then, as soon as it had come, it was gone. A mere week later it went from 95ºf (35ºc) one day to 55ºf (15ºc) the next.

When I complained to a friend, "how can it be this cold in August?!" he responded "we had Summer last week, what more do you want?"

While it has worked its way back up into the beautiful 70's (20's), I don't think I will ever take Georgia's insane summer weather for granted again. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...