Friday, September 9, 2011

for my grandpa.

There are times when it seems particularly hard to be so far away from home. Usually these times are surrounded by stress, boredom, loneliness, bad moods, poverty, etc. But at these times of heightened homesickness I try my best to step back and recognize that I don't necessarily miss home, but rather the idea of home being associated with no stress, no boredom, good company, good moods, and free meals.

Some days, though, like today, are days when it is actually difficult to be so far away from home.

This morning, at the age of 81, my grandpa passed away.

My grandpa will be remembered in many ways by many people. But for me, I will never be able to play another card game without thinking about him. His game of choice was Gin ("that's what they make in the bathtub" he'd always say when he beat me - which was a lot). I don't think a day went by when I was visiting my grandparents that we didn't play a hand or two. And I know that every time I draw a jack from the pile ("ah, the j boys!") or pick up a card I'm unsure about ("just for speculating") or get offered to cut the deck ("super cut"), I will be thinking of my grandpa. He will be missed.
RIP 9.9.11



1 comment:

Bekah said...

Emily, I am so sorry for your loss

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...