Friday, May 6, 2011

How to Succeed at Failing at Teaching

Sometimes I have really awesome lesson plans. I mean, sometimes, I really get it right. But you'll noticed that I've ever only posted about 7 lesson plans that were really successful (and I've been teaching 12 lessons a week* since September). However, sometimes, like today, I just completely get it wrong

It all started with the fact that I had this class on my schedule today and I had no idea what I was supposed to prepare for it (keep in mind this is the first week back after a 2 week break). Usually when a teacher doesn't discuss anything to prepare I just work on conversation with students. But this was an 8th grade class, and usually in 8th grade I plan entire lessons. All week I'm wracking my brain trying to remember what I'm supposed to teach, but nothing comes to mind, so I just dismiss it and assume I'll figure it out eventually. 

This morning I wake up for class and remember that a teacher at some point before the break asked me to do a lesson on Australia. I don't remember which teacher, or for which class, but I remember it happened. I remember because I thought it was ridiculous. I know nothing about Australia. Finding Nemo is my #1 reference on Australia. I could point it out on a map, name a few major cities, and identify pictures of didgeridoos and kangaroos. That's about it. 

So I decide if it is Australia, since I know absolutely nothing about Australia, I'll just adapt a lesson plan I did for the intro to the US unit, and fake it. 

Well, guess what, it was Australia! Awesome. 

I get up and start taking words from the students to fill our mind map. I get the usuals: Kangaroos, Sydney, Koalas, Aborigines, Cambara... Wait, did I spell that right? 

Yeah, that's how I wrote it on the board. Curious for the correct spelling, I turned to the class and actually ask "did I spell that right?" The teacher, in the back, shakes her head in shame. I erase the word from the board and ask for a correct spelling. 

No answer. 

Moving on. A few more words: Great Barrier Reef, Opera House. So I start fishing for words. 

"Does anyone know the capital of Australia?" 
Blank stares. 
"Anyone" (Bueller?) "Well, look it up in your books". 
a single student offers an unsure"Canberra?". 
Unabashedly, I reply "is it? I mean, is that what the book says? I have no idea."

Blank stares. 

"Ok, well can someone spell it for me this time?" 

So then they go on to writing their paragraphs about their word/picture, for which several those little smarta... ahh... smart little kids write "I drew this picture because Emely [sic] told me to." After seeing this on enough papers I go back to the front, write my name (correctly) on the board and say "if you're going to mention me in your sentences, at least spell my name right!


*Except usually I only end up scheduled for about 7 or 8 lessons a week, and I usually don't plan entire lessons for all of them.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...