Friday, May 13, 2011

Beer Gardens and Lederhosen

Stereotypes is a topic that comes up quite a bit in my job*. Especially when I meet a new class for the first time, I always get asked what stereotypes Americans have of Germans. I address this issue more in depth in a previous vlog post, but my answer is basically always the same: the American stereotype is a that Germany is a giant Oktoberfest 24/7, with lots of beer drinking, lederhosen and singing and dancing. (Convenient that I'm living in Bavaria**, right?). 

So what better place to live out these stereotypes than in Munich? The heart and soul of Bavaria. The place where Germany is really what people expect. And what a great first impression for Patrick and AJ who spent the first 4 days of their first trip to Germany in Munich. 

So I gave them the full "German" experience: 




We went Lederhosen shopping: 






We enjoyed our liters of beer at Hofbräuhaus:
 







<--------Ate giant pretzels


were entertained by an oompa band over dinner: 






Enjoyed a beer at the famous Chinesicher Turm beer garden in the English Gardens (which are famous for nude sunbathers -- who we never encountered, luckily):




And, finally, tried out fancy German-made cars: 


*I use the term "job" loosely.
**Not really, I'm living in Franken. Bavaria has nothing on us. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...