Monday, May 23, 2011

why I'm not above a year of professional childcare

As much as I love facebook, I kind of hate it. Why? Because all those really amazing and impressive things people are doing with their lives are all over my newsfeed. And they make me feel the need to explain my choice to work as an au pair next year. 
fyi, put this pic on my au pair profile and got an email
almost immediately after it loaded. Just sayin.
  1. I get to stay in Germany
  2. May not be the best money in the world, but you can't argue with a free place to live 
  3. Get to have a complete cultural experience living with a German family
  4. language language language! Speaking German for another year = win.
  5. you don't need a stupid EU passport to get work as an au pair
  6. I will have time to be focused on things like applying for grad school
  7. I will probably be more motivated than ever to apply for grad school
  8. I won't just sit around twiddling my thumbs all day
  9. It is in no way binding if I am able to find something better along the way
  10. Did I mention I get to stay in Germany?
  11. I have a lot of experience in the field of childcare 
  12. You can only do it for a maximum of 18 months, so there is no way to get sucked into a lifetime of professional childcare 
  13. Even if the economy sucks and jobs are scarce, people still have children that need caring for
  14. I get to avoid the "real world" for at least one more year
  15. don't have to lay awake at night fearing deportation 
so maybe you're going to some incredible university, sorting through amazing job offers, or getting paid buckets of money. But I'm going to live in someone's spare bedroom and take care of their kid. And I'm ok with that. 

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Haha, totally understand. I absolutely want to drop out of school and teach swim lessons in the US during the summer and in Australia in winter.

ariel said...

i don't think you need to explain yourself! i mean, i'm not being paid gobs of money or going to a super fancy university to get a super fancy degree (yet), but i love my job. if someone else doesn't like it, then it's a good thing they're not me!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...