Sunday, May 6, 2012

how to know you're leaving Germany

After a good week tearing up Germany, Patrick, Karrie, and I hopped a train to Brussels. Well, actually first, we spent a day in Aachen, wasn't it pretty?
Aachen is right on the border to Belgium, so we only took a regional Belgian train from there instead of the fancy ICEs. Since Deutsche Bahn pretty much runs the world in Germany (and charges you a fortune for it!), I got really used to my trains being red and silver with blue seats inside and a DB logo on the sides. Something more or less like this:
Of course, I forgot to take into account that Deutsche Bahn does not run the world outside of Germany. So I was caught completely off guard when our purple and yellow Belgian train rolled into the station. And in addition to the awesome color scheme, the trains also looked super old fashioned in comparison to my spoiled Deutsche Bahn standards. 
But I love old-fashioned things - especially trains. I think, as an American - from the land of no public transportation - I always associate trains with olden times and such (wasn't the last train in the US on the transcontinental railroad??). And we all know how excited I get when things live up to their stereotypes! So I basically spent the entire train ride like this. 

2 comments:

Alex, Speaking Denglish said...

haha but you gotta love a good ICE when not considering the price :)

Alex, Speaking Denglish said...

although, I guess it's truly impossible not to consider

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...