Tuesday, March 13, 2012

sometimes I fall down

Anybody who has ever walked any distance with me (whether a several mile hike or 2 feet) knows that I have issues walking. I stumble over my own feet at least once a day. After so much practice, I'm usually pretty good at catching myself before I fall. Sort of a weebles, wobbles but won't fall down sort of scenario. Unfortunately I'm not always lucky. Sometimes all it takes is an inconveniently placed curb, an particularly uneven cobblestone, a giant cement object, or - as was the case last week - a slippery escalator. 

If I'm lucky, it's only friends around to witness my lack of basic coordination skills. Of course, just ask the 3 crowded UGA bus stops I've wiped out in front of, the likelihood of only friends seeing my fall is slim to none. 

So last week, to initiate Dortmund into the Emily's Greatest Falls hall of fame, I slid my way down an outdoor escalator into a subway station. It was a rainy morning and I was running very late - which result in me actually running for my train to school. I decided to go for the run down the escalator approach instead running down the stairs, for that extra 2 second advantage. And that's where things went awry. 

I had barely taken one step on the slippery rolling steps of death when I felt my foot slide out from under me and fell forward. It was all I could do to grab the railings and catch myself with the my shin to keep from tumbling all the way down. I tried to laugh it off while fighting back the painful sting of embarrassment (and what was surely a battle wound on my leg) to the shocked Germans staring at me in concern. When I got home and was able to assess the damage I found some lovely escalator inflicted gashes. Luckily they're quickly healing, but I have yet to face the escalator of doom since this incident. 
But on a side note: Despite cutting through my skin, absolutely no damage was done to my tights. Therefore, I strongly recommend tights from Primark. Clearly worth the 3€!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...