Monday, March 5, 2012

frOOt lOOps

Before we get started here, can I just say that I never realized Fruit Loops is actually spelled "Froot Loops." As a current teacher of the English language, I have to say I'm a little disappointed in the mass-spreading of bad spelling (of course, let's not bring all my spelling errors into this argument). 

When I was in high school I basically lived off cereal. Just ask my parents - who often reminded me that I could not eat cereal for 3 meals a day. However, somewhere between UGA dining halls and grocery shopping in foreign countries, I stopped the addiction. But last week, while buying food, I felt inspired to go back to my old ways and picked up a box of Fruit Loops. 

I didn't even make it all the way home before noticing the first difference from American cereal. The cereal over here is multilingual. Every word on the box could be found in German, French, Finnish and Swedish. 
Even the game on the back (my favorite part of cereal as a child) came with instructions in all 4 languages. Seriously, if I had grown up with multilingual cereal, I would have abandoned the cereal box games for learning how to say useful phrases like "made with natural coloring and flavors" in as many languages as possible. 
The second difference I noticed immediately as I poured the cereal. Instead of the neon array colors in American Fruit Loops, German Fruit Loops consist of only 3 very "natural" looking colors. It gave me the impression of a sort of organic, hippy version of Fruit Loops (wow, I feel like an angry, old woman calling something "hippy"). 
The final difference was in the taste. As the coloring may have lead you to believe - the German Fruit Loops also had a much more natural taste. All in all, they were good, but I have to say, it kind of made me miss my 90% sugar, potentially toxic American Fruit Loops. 

2 comments:

Alex, Speaking Denglish said...

How can Froot Loops still call themselves Froot Loops if they aren't in fact Froot Loops? This is how I feel with the whole Coke flavors thing, why are they differnet? Why isn't there Diet Coke here? Bitter.

Kathi S said...

Froot Loops are the best thing ever! I guess in America you have them as well? When I went to America they had small packages and small Froot Loops!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...