Monday, August 22, 2011

The Zeltlager Series: An overview

Last week was one of the most fun weeks I've had since moving to Forchheim. As you may recall, it was just over a week ago that I packed up and headed out on my first real camping trip, if not ever, than definitely in at least 15 years.  And since this seemingly quick 5 day adventure has spawned at least a week's worth of posts (Seriously, Imade a list), I thought it would be good to prepare you, my faithful readers, with a little overview of just what happened and what you might be able to expect in the coming posts. 
We left on Saturday for the Musikverein's annual camping trip (in German: Zeltlager). Until the following Thursday we (about 60 or so members, I think) stayed on a camp site in a small town called Fornbach, which was described as having more cows than people (how often have I used that exact description for Watkinsville?). 

With the exception of having a main house offering a few of the usual amenities of civilization (a full kitchen, showers, toilets, etc), it was a legit camping, as far as I'm concerned. We slept in tents, no computers, no telephones (except in choice spots with occasional reception), no electricity (I mean, for the most part), a campfire every night, and lots of annoying tiny animals. But more on all that later. 



We woke up every morning at 8:30 for breakfast and sometimes didn't get to bed till after 4am (needless to say, I slept for over 12 hours the night we got back). 

We spent our days outside playing games...
 
laying on blankets in the sun...

going on small hikes... 
and making up ribbon dances.
You know, just the usual camping stuff. 
Like I said at the beginning, this post is just an overview. So it will really be the following posts in The Zeltlager Series that will hopefully give you a little more detail and better idea of just what made this one of my favorite weeks in Germany. 

Try to contain your excitement! 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...