Friday, August 19, 2011

The Summer According to Beer Festivals: Annafest

If you remember, I opened the summer season back in June with the Berg festival in Erlangen. But the real highlight of the summer beer festivals for me was just a few weeks ago right here in Forchheim. 


The first time I heard about Annafest was probably over a year ago when I found I was would be moving to this city I had never heard of before. And just like any rational, uniformed person, I read the wikipedia article on Forchheimn - including a small bit on the town's biggest attraction, a beer festival in the middle of summer. 

Annafest is an annual 10 day festival that takes place in the Kellerwald in Forchheim. Along side the 23 beer kellers, they set up all kinds of carnival rides and games. Running till 11pm everynight, you can enjoy liters of beer, live music, traditional food, and the company of several hundred thousands throughout the week. 

Of course, when I read the article, I didn't really realize just how big of a deal this Annafest was. How was I supposed to know that I would hear about it at least once a week while living in Forchheim. That whenever I asked the question "What is there to do in Forchheim?" inevitably the answer "well, have you heard about Annafest?!" would work its way in. So when the festival finally arrived, I was very excited to see how the reality lived up to the rumors.

I made it up to the festival several times during the week. Sometimes just to pop in, take a few pictures and grab some Gebrannte Mandeln (my favorite German treat, roasted almonds!), while other visits were for the whole evening, enjoying delicious food and beer with friends. I would go on, but I think the pictures can do it more justice....
You could order beer at your seat, or you could just walk up to the kellers and get a beer to walk around with
"During Annafest (July 23 - August 1), the Lohnmühl is closed"
There were many bars and restaurants in town that had signs like this up during Annafest.
One of the 4 stages in the Kellerwald that had continuous live music
With the standard Annafest Maß - 1 liter of beer
There was even a ferris wheel
My delicious schäuferla (pig shoulder), after it was devoured 
The main path up into the Kellerwald lined with food and game stands
The bigger carnival rides - all lit up for night here - were down below the kellerwald

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...