Wednesday, March 9, 2011

A tribute to Harry Potter

In the heart of the old city in Edinburgh there is a cafe called the Elephant House. From the outside it looks like pretty much another cafe - a red facade with big windows - really nothing that seems to out of the ordinary. 

Of course, when you look a little closer at those big front windows, you'll see that this little cafe boasts itself to be the "birthplace of Harry Potter." 

That's right, JK Rowling favored this cafe (among a few others) in Edinburgh while writing the first 3 Harry Potter books. If you check out the link to the cafe's website, they have a very cool video of an interview with JK Rowling as she was writing book 3, before the books got really popular. 

So, being a bit of a Harry Potter fanatic myself (I don't want to admit how many times I've read the books...), I decided to give it a try. 

My favorite thing is that you order tea not by the cup but in either a small pot (about 2 cups worth) or a large pot (about 3 cups). And it's not just a cheap tea bag from a selection of about 4 different flavors, but actual tea leaves. I feel really awesome when I get to use a tea strainer :-p Having never been a fan of coffee, I <3 the UK for their tea culture!

Today when I went (yeah... I've been two days in a row now) I got a prime seat by a window in the back with a perfect view of the Edinburgh Castle (also a personal fave sight in the city). From this seat it was perfectly clear how this would be ideal location to create something like world of Harry Potter. 

Let's not lie, I'll probably make a few more visits to this great little cafe before I leave on Monday morning. 

Keep your eye out for many more stories from Edinburgh to come! It's great to be back :) 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...