Thursday, March 17, 2011

Flavor of the week

Although Great Britain isn't exactly known for their exemplary culinary skills, they did get one thing right: Chips.

well, I mean chips as in crisps, not chips as in fries - you have to be careful with that one. 

I first noticed it 3 years ago during my a trip to London. There, among the normal selections of Salt and Vinegar or Sour Cream and Onion, I noticed Grilled Chicken with Lemon and Thyme. 
Wait, what?! 
That's right. I've never seen a more impressive array of flavors on any chip[/crisp] shelf than in the supermarkets in Great Britain. 

So while perusing the aisles of the local Sainsbury's (a grocery story) last week in Edinburgh I decided to capture a few of my favorites. 

Here, Ladies and Gentlemen, are my top 3 chip[/crisp] flavors:

3. Lime and Coriander Chutney
This bag of chips, while not the most impressive flavor to be found on a chip[/crisp], wins major points for specificity and originality: I mean, chutney? Really?!

2. A TIE: Flame Grilled Steak and Sweet Chilli Chicken [sic]
One of my favorite things about chips[/crisps] in the UK is that they can be an entire main course in a little bag! This two struck a particular interest for going above and beyond with the delicious descriptors of "sweet chili" and "flame grilled"

and the winner is.........

1. Haggis and Cracked Black Pepper
Not only is this a big main course flavor for a little chip[/crisp], it represents a traditional (albeit, slightly disturbing) Scottish dish. It upholds the standard of originality set by our 3rd place, and with the addition of "cracked black pepper" continues with the delicious description found in 2nd place. 

So for those of you keeping score at home: 
  
Britain's chip[/crisp] flavors: 1, Rest of the world's: 0

1 comment:

Emily said...

Please tell me you have tried Döner flavored crisps! I saw them when I lived in Rostock but never tried them because I was afraid. Idk...they might be bad in a good way hahaha.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...