Wednesday, March 30, 2011

GA middle school band programs, FTW!

So remember that band I joined (the musikverein... I know you know it)...

Well, I was sitting at rehearsal this evening when the director of the youth band (who is also a member of the senior band) came over and asked me if I could lead a master class for the horns in the youth band. First of all AH! For as many band camps, horn sectionals I've ever led... OMG, never done it in German! But once I get past the impending terror of fumbling over broken German and confusing these kids more than helping them - it's pretty cool! I mean, I remember how excited I was by the surprising ease of being the member of a band in German, so maybe it will be cool to experience the language "situation" as the leader of the music... 

So, naturally, I agreed for this terrifying, yet awesome opportunity.

He gave me the scores for the pieces they're playing and I immediately noticed that one of them was dedicated to a middle school in Georgia. The Great Locomotive Chase, commissioned and dedicated to the 1999-2000 Tapp Middle School Symphonic Band. I don't know the program myself, but it was still exciting to think that with as many music educating friends I have in GA, that at least ONE person is familiar with that program. (like I said, it doesn't take much to excited me)

BUT WAIT! it gets better...

So I'm reading the notes on the inside when I come across the following paragraph:
It was composed in the fall of 1999 for the Tapp Middle School Concert Band under the direction of Erin Cole. The work is dedicated to the Tapp Middle School Band in commemoration of their performance at the University of Georgia in December of the same year
O.M.G. Here I am, sitting with my band in little Forchheim, Germany, holding a piece that was written for a band in the state I grew up in, to be played at the University I attended, at a festival I took part in! I don't know about you, but that is exciting stuff to me! It only would have been better if I had been at the 1999 Midfest, but alas, I went in 2000. 

I've been seriously buzzing about this little discovery for the past 90 minutes. I got home, ran in to tell Gemma, then ran back out saying "I'm so gonna blog about this!"
(don't judge me)

2 comments:

emily g. said...

you win! But that means I win by association - your win representative in Germany, shall we say... :-p

Unknown said...

The piece was commissioned for my band at Tapp M.S. I attended UGA as well and taught Laura Patterson. Small world, huh? I think it is fantastic that you are getting to have such an amazing experience in Germany. I have been there twice and can't wait to go back. It is so beautiful there. Best of luck to you!

Erin Cole
Tapp M.S. Band Director

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...