Sunday, March 6, 2011

and I'm off!

In about 12 hours I will be getting on the train to get to the [other train, to get to the other train to get to the] airport to get to Shahida in Edinburgh!


I'm very excited to go back to visit Shahida, but also because I love Edinburgh! I like it in the way that I liked Zurich - it's a big city, or at least has everything a big city has,  but it isn't actually all that big (at least not when compared to NYC or London, for example). And it has a castle (<--- automatic win).

I'm flying from Munich which means I have to first take the train (with 2 connections). I've come to be really relaxed with the train system here because, despite it not always being the most punctual, there are always a few different options for reaching your final destination (even if it means simply waiting 20 min till the next train comes), and, even better, the tickets are not for specific trains (you can get a reservation, but that's only 2-4€, and only for the really fast trains). This means, when I get a ticket between Forchheim and Munich tomorrow, it doesn't matter what time I leave, or which cities I connect in, as long as I'm heading in the direction of Munich, my ticket is valid. It makes travel very stress free.

However, planes do not operate this way (though they should really consider it...).

When planes are involved I start to feel a twinge of travel anxiety.  I go into way over-planning mode. I write down every possible train to leave as early or as a late as I can, so when I'm stranded by delays, there still might be a chance for me to make it to the airport on time. I've already spent half my day just staring at the train times, committing it to memory.

Ironically enough, I also always stress that I will sleep through my alarm. No, I'm not leaving obnoxiously early. My alarm is set for 7am (which, if I'm being honest, is probably way too early anyway). The real reason it's ironic though, is that in the past month I've slept in past 7:30 maybe twice. It's a curse more than a blessing, but I've always been an early riser.

I love to travel (obviously?), but I can't help but get a little anxious for the actual traveling part.

So here's to hoping I don't over sleep, miss all/any of my 2 connections from delays, and make it to the airport in one piece on time!

See ya in Edinburgh!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...