Monday, March 28, 2011

People of the internet, feed me!

Dear internet people, want to help me out?

I only started cooking for myself regularly the year I moved to Switzerland in 2007. Before that I had either been on the meal plan or lived with my parents (my mom is great in the kitchen, and my dad... well, you never know when you're going to get a hotdog in the middle of your meatloaf with him).  Now, almost 4 years later, I'm still making the same 2 or 3 dishes I learned in Switzerland. 

My personal cooking method is just to add any combination of the following

  • bell pepper
  • zucchini
  • onion
  • garlic
  • tomato
Which works well in my 2 favorite dishes (favorite as in they're basically the only dishes I make), chicken teriyaki stir fry and veggie quiche. 

This week I'm on a strict pasta diet (it's all the rave these days... especially when you have 20€ to survive the entire week off of), so my limited creativity is even more limited. I was pretty proud tonight when I threw together basically everything I had for a zucchini-onion-chicken-alfredo-pasta dish. Which was actually pretty good. 

But I'm interested to expand my cooking repertoire. So, internet people, I'm turning to you! Do you have a favorite recipe you'd like to share? Preferably something not super complicated or cheap or made of things I'm likely to already have (as far as spices and such).  If I make it and I like it, I'll repost it for the world (or the 5 people that read my blog... hi mom, hi dad...) to know of your culinary genius! 

5 comments:

Ms. B said...

Brett's super picky, so there's only about 10 ingredients he'll eat...but I bet this would be awesome with onions and peppers inside!

Sausage Bread

1 (1-lb) package ground hot pork sausage
1 (11-oz) can refrigerated French bread dough
1½ cups shredded pizza cheese blend

Cook sausage in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, stirring until sausage crumbles and is no longer pink. Remove from pan; drain well, pressing between paper towels.
Unroll dough into a rectangular shape on a lightly greased baking sheet; sprinkle evenly with sausage and cheese. Beginning with 1 long side, roll up, jellyroll fashion. Turn, seam side down, on baking sheet, and pinch ends to secure filling inside. Cut 3 (1/4-inch deep) slits across top of dough with a sharp paring knife.
Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until browned. Remove from oven; let stand 10 minutes before slicing.

Katie said...

Here's a super easy Chili recipe!

Ingredients:

2lbs of ground beef

1 onion (diced)

1 green pepper (diced)

1 packet of chili spice from a pouch. I use the trader joes kind and it’s delicious.

1 can of diced tomatoes with green chilies

Brown the ground beef in a pan. Once it’s finished, drain the fat from the meat and add the diced onions and peppers in. Cook for about 5 minutes on medium. Throw all of that into a large pot and add in tomatoes and chili spice and stir it all together. Cook for 20 minutes on medium-high.

Then top with sour cream and cheddar cheese or whatever you normally put on chili. You can also add beans and jalapenos when you add the onions and peppers. It tastes just like chili that has been in a crockpot for hours and hours, but doesn’t take nearly as much time and effort!

Emily said...

i suggest you just ernähr yourself from booze! :)

Tine said...

Hier auch was super einfaches =)

Du brauchst:
500gr Hackfleisch
1 Tasse Reis
1 Dose Mexikanisches Gemüse (Mais, Erbsen, Parika)

Reis kochen
Fleisch anbraten, dann Gemüse in die Pfanne geben, zum Schluß gekochten Reis mit in die Pfanne. Umrühren würzen, am besten mit Curry --> fertig =) Voll einfach, lecker und reicht für mindestens vier =)
Viel Spaß
Christine

Stefanie said...

Von mir gibts was süßes =)

"Süße Nudeln"

Nudeln ganz normal kochen bis sie aldente sind.
In einer Pfanne Semmelbrösel (Breadcrums or so)mit schön viel Butter anrösten, aber nicht zu stark.

Nudeln dazu, noch mehr Butter, anbraten und zum Schluss Zucker dazu - FERTIG!

Schmeckt sehr lecker mit Apfelmus, ist schnell gemacht, billig und übrigens typisch fränkisch =) Meine Oma hat das schon als Kind gegessen =)

Bon Appetit! =)
Steffi

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...