Sunday, March 27, 2011

So there were 3 bananas walking down the street...

No really...

So you might remember I mentioned something called Fasching in an earlier post. If you're really good, you'll remember that I explained it's the time leading up to Ash Wednesday - sort of like a prolonged Mardi Gras. I basically of consider Fasching the German Halloween. I mean, really, the only thing the two holidays have in common is the tradition of wearing costumes. But that's close enough for me! 

In some parts of Germany, Fasching is a HUGE celebration over several days (Cologne is the most well-known city for Fasching). In Forchheim, however, we pretty much just had a parade. But everyone was still dressed up and I got to march (..."march") with the music club! 

Every year the band has a theme for their costumes and this year was Pirates. Well, since that doesn't really lend itself to originality (do I want to go as a pirate... or a pirate?), we had to get really creative. Luckily I got adopted by some of my friends in band to take part in a group costume... as a pirate ship! I have to admit, having to march with my actual horn while holding the music and wearing a box was no easy task!

It was fun to see the other costumes in band. There were, of course, plenty of pirates, but there was another ship, a few barrels of rum (my fave, I think) and I'm pretty sure I saw a Calypso from the third PotC movie. The floats in the parade were pretty good too. 



Sometimes they were basically just a party on wheels






and others had more obvious themes. 



This was the day before I left for Edinburgh, so I'm really glad I didn't miss it! I thought it was really fun to experience something uniquely German. If I'm in Germany for another Fasching, I really want to make it up to Cologne to see the "real" party 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...