Sunday, January 15, 2012

on the ice

When Andrea and I went down to Cologne for the day, we saw all the normal sites: The Cathedral, the Altstadt, the Rhine, the locks on the Rhine, etc. But we also got to take part in a seasonal offering of the city.

During the Christmas season and into January, Cologne sets up an ice rink outside in the Heuermarkt. So for the probably 3rd time in my life, I slipped on some ice skates and headed for the ice.

My last memory of ice skating was in 2008 in Switzerland. I just remember falling a lot and never feeling like I had control of anything my feet did. So with that in mind, I was pretty terrified when we got on the rink.  But I'm proud to say that after 20 minutes or so of clutching on to the side as we made our laps around the rink, I eventually was able to make a full lap at a time without grabbing the side for security. It's the little things in life.

Actually, neither one of us ever fell over the entire hour or so we were on the ice! I'm pretty proud of us! And not to brag, but after that hour of practice, I think I might be ready for the 2014 olympics, watch out Russia!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...