Monday, January 30, 2012

If you only have one day in Edinburgh...

well, first of all, if you only have one day in Edinburgh, that was the absolute worst planning on your part. 

Edinburgh is basically my favorite city... ever. It might have something to do with the good friends and great times I always have there. But the city itself is just amazing. Between the castle, picturesque old city, great shopping possibilities, unique and adorable shops, and great selection of pubs, it's pretty much got everything. I could keep going, but I think you get my point. 

As it turned out, Andrea ended up only having one full day in Edinburgh, so I wanted to make sure she got to see exactly why I love that city so much. So here are some of the highlights we hit for those of you planning a trip to Edinburgh (as all of you should be!)

The Castle
The Castle is one of my favorite parts of this city. It just looks so stereotypically castle-like. And you know me, I love when things fit stereotypes! It is kind of expensive to get into the castle/ I've been in once, and I would say that it's definitely not a waste of money, but you can also easily enjoy the castle from the outside. Rumor has it the castle was the main inspirations for Hogwarts - totally believable as it is very well known that JK Rowling wrote the first three books while living in Edinburgh. 

The Royal Mile
The famous street that runs through the middle of the old city, from Holyrood (the royal residence) up to the castle. I pretty much live on the Royal mile when I'm in Edinburgh. There is always so much going on and so much to see. Andrea and I did the New Europe walking tour in Edinburgh (the same one I did in Amsterdam). As usual, it was amazing and focused a lot on the Royal Mile and around the old city. This is a must do if you find yourself in Edinburgh. 

The Old City
Don't forget to get off the beaten path while in the old city. The Royal Mile is definitely amazing, but there is so much more to see. Don't miss taking a peak down all the side streets to see just what kind of awesomeness is hiding there. 

The National Museum
This museum on the Royal Mile is home to all kinds of history from Edinburgh, Scotland and Great Britain. It is also home to Dolly the first cloned sheep (stuffed and mounted on a rotating pedestal, of course). And, my favorite part, you can go up to the roof of the museum of a fantastic view of the city. 

Baked Potatoes
I won't give too much away now - these babies are so good they're getting their own post - but if you find yourself in Edinburgh, definitely stop for a baked potato with all kinds of magical toppings. Like my favorite seen here: Cheese, onion and pineapple! 

Calton Hill
At the end of Princes Street sits Calton hill. Atop Calton hill you can find the Shame of Edinburgh (a giant, unfinished Greek monument) as well as a great view of the city on side all the way out to the sea on the other. 

There is so much more to do and see in Edinburgh: Shopping on Princes Street, hiking up Arthur's Seat, or visit Holyrood Palace, to name a few. These are just a handful of the must sees that Andrea and I could fit in on our one day together. For the time we had, I'd say we did pretty well. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...