Wednesday, January 18, 2012

A good layover

On our way to Scotland, Andrea and I had a layover in Amsterdam. I've only been to Amsterdam once before, and, as you might remember, it was also just for a layover. 
We took the train from Dortmund to Amsterdam (only 3 hours and 20€, I will be going again!) and had about 3 hours before our next departure. Unfortunately, we didn't have time for the tour that I did last time, so I did the best I could to recreate the tour myself. 
It consisted mostly of "I think we went this way"s and "this looks familiar"s and "this was important but I can't remember why"s. But we still got to see a lot of the city and enjoy a couple beers.
At one point, while walking along the canals, we found ourselves surrounded by a chinese parade of loud drumming and a big dragon people puppet (to be clear). It basically turned into dueling dragons ending with a 20 foot string of firecrackers going off in the middle of the street (loudest thing ever, btw). We still have no idea what on earth that was for, and it definitely wasn't official as there were some very angry drivers who couldn't get around it for about 20 minutes. 
Amsterdam was just as lovely as my last layover, and I hope to get out there for an actual visit at some point! 



1 comment:

Kate said...

A chinese friend of mine in my university program here said it's almost chinese new year, and it's the year of the dragon which is a big important one! Apparently it's a year filled with lots of luck and wealth!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...