Monday, November 14, 2011

The Ugliest Rathaus in Germany

Rathaus is German for city hall, and in every German city the Rathaus is usually on the list of sights to see. That's because it can be a really amazing building like these from Munich and Aachen

Even if they're not architectural wonders, though, they can still be known to have a certain charm about them. Like in Forchheim and Bamberg.
But even then, if they lack both the spectacle and charm, they tend to at least be nice looking buildings. For example, in Berlin and Düsseldorf.
On my recent trip to Bayreuth, however, I laid my eyes upon the worst excuse for a Rathaus I've ever come across in this country. 
Congratulations, Bayreuth. You have the ugliest Rathaus in all of Germany

3 comments:

Kate said...

Hahaha, this made me laugh. I'm living in a pretty small Eastern German town ridden with ugly, chunky DDR architecture, but our Rathaus is still beautifully gothic. Poor Bayreuth!

I wanted to bring something random up to you as well: I've learned some fantastic German words (and finally realized what Germans mean when they write numbers) from reading your blog. Seriously, you're more helpful than my fake Rosetta stone. I just posted a song on my blog that's helping me learn polar bear vocabulary.. and I'm wondering if you've heard it? My German roommates never had and I was shocked because when they play it in public everyone seems to know the words!
Check it out: dessaunihao.blogspot.com

Sorry, longest comment ever award. Love your blog, keep writing! :)

Kate

Antoinette Musik said...

Yay another native English speaking living in Germany! Really loved this post and can't wait to read more about your adventures!

Andy said...

lol! the best thing about this post is the 1980s style photo of the Berlin Rathaus. we both know why hehe <3

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...