Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Achin' for Aachen

What can I say, I'm a sucker for corny titles, especially those using alliteration. 

Aachen has been on my list of German cities to visit after hearing so much about it last year. Maybe it was just the people I hang out with, or maybe Aachen really is that popular, but this city I had never heard of before was suddenly becoming the destination to visit for many of my friends.

So when I found myself with a 2 week break from school and a ticket to get me anywhere in Nordrhein-Westfalen, I thought I would make the journey. 

And it was definitely worth it. 

Now, I've been to a lot of German cities, a lot of VERY German cities, and sometimes it can get a bit repetitive. Oh look, another castle. What an ornate cathedral you have in the middle of your city. Your market square is just so... open. It tends to lose it's excitement after a while.  But there was something about Aachen that I just found charming. The city center is connected by tiny pedestrian zone streets lined with an array of unique stores and restaurants. The cathedral and city hall stand out beautifully, yet still fit in perfectly. There is a gorgeous park leading to the spa of natural hot springs. 


All in all, I really enjoyed my trip to Aachen, and could be easily persuaded to go back. I mean, just look at the place... 
















No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...