Saturday, November 19, 2011

I think got the black lung, pop

When I lived in Switzerland, the area was known for, well, pretty much being the most beautiful place ever. Surrounded by water and mountains everywhere, what more could you ask for?
When I lived in Forchheim, the area was well known for having a charming, traditional look.
When I moved to Dortmund, I learned the area was well known for it's history in coal mining. 
The Ruhrgebiet is so named because it is the area (in German: Gebiet) surrounding the Ruhr river. The Ruhrgebiet has a long history of coal mining and has unfortunately gotten a pretty bad rap because of it. Most people think of it as being completely grey and industrial. And in comparison to the previous places I've lived, it definitely isn't the most beautiful. But it isn't the ugliest place I've ever seen. 

During our conference in Düsseldorf (which is not part of the Ruhrgebiet), we headed back to the coal mines for a day. Ok, no, we didn't actually go into the mines, but we did visit the Ruhr Museum, an old Gasometer (basically a gas holder) with an art exhibit inside, and an old steel factory. 

I'm not going to lie, it wasn't the most exciting day I've ever spent in Germany, but it was interesting to learn about the area. It was also cool to see what they have done with all the left overs of the coal mining era. For example, we saw two Gasometers - the first hosted regularly changing exhibits and the second was turned into a practice diving pool. They filled the water with various objects like cars and parts of planes and use the tank for anything from amateur practice to professional training. The Steel factory had basically been turned into a giant work of art, the entire factory being lit in colored light every night. They also host an open-air theater in the summer. 
So I might not be in the most beautiful place in the world, but I'd have to say it's still pretty cool. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...