Tuesday, June 14, 2011

That time I had a staring contest with my dinner

Once upon a time, Gemmani were having dinner in the Kellerwald...

but to really appreciate this story, you need to know a few things:
First, I've never really liked to eat fish. It has really only been in the last 3 or 4 years that I've started eating fish.  Now, even though I don't often go out of my way to order fish, I enjoy the occasional fishy dish, or sushi (actually, I like more than the occasional sushi). But I still tend to avoid the really fishy-tasting fish (because that makes a lot of sense...). 
Second, whenever I go to the Kellerwald, I pretty much always order the currywurst to eat. So much so that the servers at our favorite Keller are surprised when I order something else. 

So, there I was, deciding to branch out and try something new on the menu. And feeling especially brave, I thought I'd go for the salmon. Well, a few minutes after ordering, they come out to tell us that there is no more salmon, but, instead, they have some trout. In the panic of the moment, I just agreed. 

Well, to my very unpleasant surprise, 15 minutes later, I was greeted by a plate of this: 


Here I am, not even very much of a fish-eater, staring my incredibly fragrant dinner in the eye. So, for the next 20 minutes, anyone within range got to witness me cluelessly tearing this thing apart, digging fish bones out of every inch, and wincing with every bite (sometimes from the potency of fish-taste, other times from fear of lingering fish bones).

But I made it. I powered through my very first fish dinner that still looked like a fish. It wasn't too bad, but I think I'll avoid ordering the same thing in the future. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...