Wednesday, June 15, 2011

after not leaving my apartment for 3 days...

Right, so I hate to admit this, but it's true. For three consecutive days - Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday - I did not leave my apartment once. To be fair, I had a couple reasons for being so reclusive and boring. One, I'm poor. Well, I'm not poor, per se, but I will be poor soon and I'm trying to avoid the inevitable as long as possible. And if there is one thing I learned - if you don't leave your apartment, you don't spend money! Also, we had a friend in town. I mean, she's only from Erlangen (it's kind of like saying "I have a friend in Watkinsville for the weekend - she's from Athens"), but together, it made lounging around in pjs, watching marathons of HIMYM, movies or just hours of facebook stalking seem totally acceptable. 
 
But today reality hit, and I knew that I had to get out in the fresh air. So I decided to go for a bike ride to in the Fränkische Schweiz (Franconian Switzerland) it's a region in Franken really well known for it's visible cliffs in it's hill/mountains (too small for mountains, but bigger than hills). It's got all kinds of bike and hiking paths and pretty nature and all that fun [read: free] stuff!


So I set off towards a small village Gemmani had been to once in the fall called Streitberg. It's got a couple of very neat castle ruins to visit. I didn't really know exactly where I was going (I mean, I looked it up on google maps before hand, but I didn't know if the bike path would be different than the roads), but luckily it was all really well marked and I made it there and back alive (with only one wrong turn, which was quickly remedied).

It took about 1 hour to ride the 15km out there (including a few photo op stops and one wrong turn), then I spent an hour or so in the town hiking up to one of the ruins then stopping to read my book for a little bit. The ride back was much quicker - I think it was about 40 minutes tops. 
It was also really nice to actually get out - and completely FREE! I'll definitely be heading back out into the Fränkische Schweiz, and I also want to try the bike paths up to Bamberg or Erlangen! 

This was my route - nothing too exciting, just there and back, I'll try to be a little more adventurous next time. It was a total of about 20 miles of riding. 

3 comments:

ariel said...

too bad i didn't come visit to entertain you.

Emily said...

omg when i come to visit can we do this!? i mean, i don't have a bike but that's ok, right??

Patrick said...

I believe you are referring to Hiltains... :-) Not to be confused with Paris... or Nicki.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...