Tuesday, February 1, 2011

a question of taste

For the most part I've never questioned Europe's (and yes, sorry, but I'm going to generalize a little bit here) taste in American entertainment. Movies and music tend to follow the same trends (except for the obvious void of hip-hop over here), all my students know Lady GaGa, Justin Bieber, Britney Spears, and they've all seen Avatar, Batman, Inception - although they problem saw them 3 months later, but that's not the point. And, for the most part, the selection of TV shows that have made it big over here aren't that bad either.

It was the Europeans who introduced me to the gem How I Met Your Mother. You can find season upon season of Grey's Anatomy, Scrubs, and Friends at any DVD store. But for the life of me, I can NOT understand how in the world Two and a Half Men is such a huge phenomenon here! I'm talking bigger than the last season of LOST. Not a day goes by (pending me actually leaving my apartment) that I don't see or hear something about this show. Until I came to Germany, I had no idea it was even still on. But here it is everywhere, and I have yet to meet a German who does not like this show. Maybe we, as a nation, have misjudged this show. Maybe it deserves a return to primetime tv, a chance to work its way into our hearts... or, you know, maybe not.

2 comments:

candersonstudio said...

I had the same reaction when the German exchange student we hosted last year told us that that show was her 21yo brother's favorite show! It all makes sense now...
-Caroline

Katie said...

When I was in England, a show called My Name is Earl was really popular. I had never even heard of it. It was really, really terrible. I will never understand why they loved it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...