Saturday, February 19, 2011

a few of my favorite things...

"What do you like so much about Germany?"

I get this question all the time - from students, from teachers, from friends - everybody seems to want to know what it is about Germany that keeps me coming back for more. Honestly, the biggest factor is the language. After years of studying German, I've become a bit of a language nut. But, still, there is something more...

So I decided to make a list of a few of my favorite things in Germany.

Bike Culture

Having already ridden my bike for 4 years at UGA on the less-than-biker-friendly campus, I was very excited to get to Germany where biking is a common means of transportation for more than just the eco-friendly hipster, poor student, or exercise enthusiast.
In Germany every road and/or sidewalk has a clearly marked bike lane.
Drivers are used to driving along side bikers.
There are more bike racks at school than parking spots.
Biking here is more than just a great transportation option, it's a completely legitimate and acceptable way to get around.


There's always something going on


It doesn't matter if you're in big city or small town, if there is a center or even just a "platz" there will be something going.
In fall you can find special fall markets in Nürnberg or a small festival in Fürth, for example
In December you can't go 2 feet without running into a Christmas market.
Throughout any normal week there are always regular farmer's markets in the city center ready to sell you fresh meats and vegetables.
Whether it's a big event or a normal market, where there is a city center, there is always something going on!


Christmas Markets
Ok, so this one is extremely seasonal, but it is such a great part of German culture!
The entire Christmas tradition and atmosphere is something everyone can enjoy.
who cares about the sub-freezing temperatures, heavy snowfall or biting wind - where there is Glühwein, hand-made crafts, and Christmas lights I'll be there!


Ice cream
Even though it's technically Italian gelato - the ice cream in Germany is a real treat.
Maybe you just want a scoop of Stracciatella (my favorite) or a elegantly arranged dessert cup (like the banana rum ice cream cup I had on Friday).
It's really no wonder the ice cream shops are always buzzing with activity even in the dead of winter.


the drinking culture
Anyone who knows me shouldn't be surprised to see this in here.
And no, I don't mean drinking culture like "YEAH, BEER 24/7 LET'S DRINK!"
(although, from what I've seen it does seem completely normal to order a beer at 11am...)
I actually mean exactly the opposite. I've found here when you go out for the night, or even if you just want to enjoy a beer with friends in the afternoon, you're not surrounded by crazy drunks who only know how to drink 5 beers at a time.
There is no real binge drinking culture here - and I find that refreshing!
(for the record, Oktoberfest is not a good example of the actual drinking culture in Germany)


Of course these aren't the only things I love about Germany - but it's definitely a start! And ultimately, my favorite thing isn't something I can take a picture of or write down. It's just sort of a feeling, a comfort, an atmosphere maybe...

You'll just have to come visit to find out!




No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...