Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Things I Forgot I Missed, part 2

I've never been much of a TV watcher (well, except for the few shows that I watch religiously online, but then again, if I'm watching on my laptop, that's not technically TV, is it?). However, I did have a select few favorite stations when the opportunity presented itself - the top three being History Channel, Bravo, and Discovery Channel. In that order. 

When I returned home it happened to be 4th of July weekend, which meant we had some company in town. And when we have company in town, we always seem to roughly follow the same daily schedule: Wake up, eat breakfast, watch some TV while we digest, swim, eat lunch, swim, play cards, eat dinner, play cards, watch TV. So I did my fair share of TV-watching already within the first few days of my arrival, and it didn't take long for me to suddenly realize just how much I missed the History Channel
Sure, the constant documentaries on the end of times and apparent affinity for weaponry in WWII can be a bit much. And maybe the no-name "professionals" lacking a legitimate background in their supposed field offer, at best, questionable commentary. But it's still very informative (mostly).  What can I say, I'm a sucker for a good documentary (as in, if anyone needs to get me a "happy August" present, I would gladly accept "How the States Got Their Shapes" on dvd). 
   
Of course, by the end of the visit, I had added a whole lot of trashy reality (Real Housewives of New York and Big Rich Texas, to name a couple), but we won't go into that.

All in all, being home made me realize how much better TV is in the US than in Germany (sorry Germany, but you had to see that one coming by the fact that all your TV shows are American sitcoms dubbed in German, anyway. Oh and your very concerning taste in sitcoms).  I mean really - inaccurate and over-dramatized documentaries followed by plotless reality TV that makes you question the very necessity of the human race on Earth - does it get any better than that? 
  


Maybe one day (probably tomorrow) I'll forget just how awesome TV back home is, but I'll never stop missing the way it just sucked hours out of my life. 

2 comments:

Julie @ The Smitten Mintons said...

Hi Emily! So, I follow Jenni's blog, and every time I saw a picture of you on it, I would swear that I knew you! But I had no idea how I knew you! Then she linked to your blog today and I saw you went to UGA, too! I think we had a class together at some point....small world!!

emily g. said...

That's so crazy, Julie! I'm honestly still always amazed at how small the world can be sometimes!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...