Monday, July 18, 2011

Things I Forgot I Missed, part 1

Over the course of my visit home, I've realized there are certain amenities or little treats of the American life-style that just don't exist (or don't exist to the same extent) in Germany. I'm calling these "things I forgot I missed" because they are things that are not necessarily noticeable when they're not there at all. They might be things I just didn't really need in Germany, but have since been reminded what an added pleasure they can be to everyday life. 

This first one has a lot more to do with the general different climates between Georgia and Germany, which has made it something missed less for the simple fact that it is needed less...

AIR CONDITIONING
Oh, sweet breeze of AC sweeping through my room as I write this. How did I ever survive without you? Oh right, because in Germany it wasn't 90º+ (that's 32º+ for my European friends) by 10am everyday. I've forgotten the chilled rush of comfort you can get from walking into a building after powering through the scorching outside conditions afforded by the single push of a button (at least that's all I can contribute to making the AC work). Instead, in Germany, on the days it was hot (we're talking mid-80ºs at the heat of the day), after riding my bike up the hill that leads to my apartment and passing the landlord's pool without being able to just jump in, I'm greeted inside by an air that sometimes hotter and definitely stiller than the outside. It's all I can do to stop from tearing off my clothes and hanging out my window. Oh wait, that IS my solution. But really, unless I come in already sweaty and hot, I don't think it ever gets noticeably unbearable without the comforts of AC in Germany. Georgia, on the other hand would be a straight up death sentence come 3pm when we've hit the standard summer triple digits (that's 37º, Germany).

Hopefully this trip home won't have spoiled me too much and I can continue being blissfully unaware of the comfort and pleasure I'm missing out on when I head back to Germany. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...