Friday, July 8, 2011

Re-Americanization

I've only been back in Georgia for a week, and already I feel myself starting the process of re-Americanization (We're going to pretend that's a real word with a real meaning...). 

Re-Americanization is the process by which a person displaced from the USA for an extended length of time, upon returning to the homeland, reacquires old habits, customs and cultural idiosyncrasies. And since I've spent 22 years of my 24 in the US, the re-Americanization process set in quite quickly after my re-entry last  Friday. 

So here is a quick list of some recent behavior that has made me feel a little bit more American after 10 months of living in Germany:

1. I exercised my legal right to vote. I mean, it doesn't get much more American than that does it? Taking part in that time-old tradition we call democracy. And because this is the land of the free, you get an awesome sticker displaying your active participation in such patriotic duties. 
2. I text. A lot. I don't know if this is so much a Germany vs. America thing, as much as it is a 19 cents per text vs. unlimited text messaging thing, or maybe it has to do with the simple fact that I actually have people to text here. But, regardless, functioning without texting for the past week would have been very difficult! Especially when my parents text me from downstairs to see if I'm awake. 


3. I watch TV in bed. Now, granted, I watch a lot of TV shows (read: How I Met Your Mother) and movies on my computer in bed in Germany, but here in the US of A I have a real-live TV conveniently located 3 feet away from my bed. And it's not only my bedroom. But out of the 9 different rooms we have in my house, I could watch TV in 7 of them. If that's not a point for team USA, I don't know what is. 


4. I make small talk with the people at the bank. In Germany when I have to interact with people at the bank, it's generally very cut and dry: "Here are some numbers. I need money, I have an account. Thanks, bye." But in the US when you go to the bank, the man behind the counter asks how your week was, feigns interest in your plans for the coming weekend and discusses the pronunciation of your last name. And despite this unnecessary ritual adding a good 90 seconds to my bank visit, I quite enjoyed our  shared pretend interest. 

5. I drive! Ah, I've missed driving. And, as is the American way, I've gotten to drive a lot and everywhere in the past week! Now, for things like going to Athens which is too far to bike and lacks appropriate public transportation, it really is just unavoidable, but that car gets me anywhere, even if it is just to the store that is closer than the distance I would walk to school in Germany. I mean, I could bike, but who wants to show up everywhere covered in sweat. and my bike is currently hanging upside down from the garage ceiling. The car is just sitting there, asking me to drive it...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I READ THIS ONE TOO.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...