Sunday, January 29, 2012

double decker

I have a love/hate relationship with British buses. On the one hand, they're double decker buses, and that's just awesome! I go up to the top and sit at the very front just like a little kid every time
On the other hand, they seem to have a mind of their own. Here are a couple things to be wary of when taking the bus in Edinburgh (or anywhere on the whole island, actually): 

  1. you have to wave them down at the bus stop. Just because you're standing at the stop doesn't mean the bus will actually stop. I figured that out the first time my bus drove right past me without a care in the world. So when you see your bus coming, stick your hand out or jump in the road or something to make yourself seen.
  2. Know where you're getting off. In German buses, even if they don't stop at every stop, they'll always announce the next stop to give you the chance to press the button signaling you want to exit. British buses just drive. They give no sign of where you are or how many stops you've even passed. You just have to know. I do a lot of guessing and hoping and accidentally getting off the bus a couple stops early.
And a completely related and relevant note, the more I'm in the UK, the more all the Harry Potter details make sense. But I totally don't pretend I'm on the Knight Bus every time I flag down a double decker and enjoy the ride from the top.... no way

1 comment:

Jenni Austria Germany said...

yup, they can be confusing.

that's why i always ride the knight bus.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...