Wednesday, December 7, 2011

The Christmas Song[s]

No matter what country I'm in, I can't deny what a sucker I am for Christmas music! The music goes on on Thanksgiving and is rocked out to almost exclusively for the following month. And over the years I've been able to really perfect my Christmas playlist - a mixture of traditional and unique, seriously and silly, nostalgic and new - so I thought I'd share it with you, people of the internet!





Sufjan Stevens - Songs for Christmas
I first got this album last year and it quickly became my absolute favorite Christmas album. It covers almost every traditional Christmas song - you know, the ones that were in all the carol books but you'd never actually heard a day in your life. But there are also quite a few new songs. If nothing else, I would definitely recommend you take a minute to listen to "Lo! How a Rose E'er Blooming" and "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing"

The Killers - Annual Christmas Single
-Boots
-Don't Shoot me Santa
-Great Big Sled
-Happy Birthday Guadalupe!
-Cowboy Christmas Ball
The Killers are my favorite band. And every year they put out a Christmas single and give the benefits to charity. The songs are all fantastic. Perhaps a little strange in subject, but just great! 

Amy Grant - A Christmas Album
- Tennessee Christmas
- Sleigh Ride
I actually don't know why I don't have the entire Amy Grant Christmas Album. But this really goes back to the good ol' days. See, having been born in Nashville and living just outside for 8 years, all Amy Grant music pretty much defines my childhood. And, despite the fact that I haven't lived in Tennesse for over 15 years, it is absolutely not Christmas without listening to a tender Tennessee Christmas!

Cary Brothers - Father Christmas
It's upbeat and fun... but I'm still not entirely sure what it's about. A department store Santa getting beat up by spoiled kids for money. But then there some nice bits about feeding the hungry. Good, but confusing.

Coldplay - Christmas lights
Fantastic stuff.

Ingrid Michaelson 
-Snowfall
-Winter Song (with Sarah Bareilles)
-Auld Lang Syne (with lots of others...)
I love Ingrid, and she does Christmas pretty well. I really wish she'd put out a full Christmas album. I'd defs buy it. 

A Colbert Christmas: The Greatest Gift of All
As per Stephen Colbert, this album is just ridiculous! It's a combination of completely new songs and traditional songs with Weird Al'-esque reworking. Stephen Colbert sings quite a few himself, but the album also features guests artists from Willie Nelson to John Legend. I laugh every time a I listen to this, and yet I still find myself humming the songs constantly.

Mariah Carey - All I Want for Christmas is You
'nuff said.

Michael Buble - Let it Snow!
-Let it Snow
-Grown up Christmas List
I grew up on Amy Grant's "Grown up Christmas list" but I have to say, Michael Buble does a pretty good job himself.

Deathcab for Cutie - Christmas (baby, please come home)
Great new take on a lesser known classic

Dean Martin - Baby It's Cold Outside
a classic Christmas playlist must-have

Josh Groban - Noel
I've pretty much been obsessed with Josh Groban since day 1. Seriously. Ask my mom, who had to wait till I was out of the country to get rid of the cardboard cut-out I'd stolen from Barnes and Noble  that had been living in my room since high school. That being said, this is not my favorite Christmas album. There are some really great ones on it like the original song "Thankful" or the tear-inducing "I'll be Home for Christmas" with voice overs of messages from military men and woman overseas. Otherwise, though, I found the whole thing a bit overdone. My absolute favorite Josh Groban Christmas song (and probably my favorite Christmas song ever), O Holy Night, is unfortunately not on this album, but it is available to download and definitely on the playlist!

Polar Express Soundtrack
-only the good songs
I bought this because of the Josh Groban theme song. Which I do enjoy! Otherwise, I got rid of all the songs written for the movie and kept the classics. Lots of good old-timey gems on this one. 

Honorable mention go to A Very She & Him Christmas (She & Him) and Christmas! (Michael Buble) which I have been listening to pretty much everyday on Grooveshark, but haven't quite made the commitment to download them yet. Both really great interpretations of new and old Christmas music!

So, that is my Christmas list! Recognize anything you like? Or do you have any other suggestions to make the cut?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...