Thursday, November 17, 2011

The bar on the boat

Last week a conference was held in Düsseldorf for all the language assistants in my region. We were a group of around 80 people from Australia to Russia and everywhere in between (if you go west to east, that is...). From Wednesday to Friday we had the unique opportunity to meet people from all over the world, visit the NRW parliament building (I know "parliament" sounds super British, but I can't really think of a better translation...), and get a closer look at the workings the position of language assistant within the over all school system. We went on tours, learning about and seeing first hand the history of Düsseldorf and the industrial region known as the Ruhrgebiet. 

But all I really wanted was to get a beer at the bar on the boat!
On our first evening set free in Düsseldorf, we passed this bar on a boat and I was immediately obsessed. you might think it's because of my love of alliteration, and you wouldn't be completely wrong. I also just thought it would be awesome enjoy a drink on a boat on the Rhein. What can I say, I'm easily pleased.
This could have been my view, see the appeal now?
Unfortunately, after we spent the last hour of sunlight we had left getting quick look at the impressive altstadt of Düsseldorf, my dreams were crushed. We returned to the bar on the boat shortly before 7 only to be shoo'ed off the entrance plank for closing time. 
For the next two days, the hopes of enjoying a beer at the bar on the boat became increasingly distant until I found myself on the train back to Dortmund having missed my chance completely.


So it's settled, Düsseldorf. I'll be back for my beer at the bar on the boat. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...