Monday, March 26, 2012

The three Bs

When visiting Germany, there are three things you definitely have to enjoy: Beer, bratwurst, and bakeries. 
  
While my mom and Grandma were here last week, we made sure to get our fill of all three! 
  
Beer is kind of an obvious choice while visiting Germany. But hey, stereotypes and cliches become stereotypes and cliches for a reason, right?
We tried Kölsch while in Cologne and some Altbier while in Düsseldorf. Beer became a staple of all our restaurant experiences. 

Bratwurst was the one of the top priority items on Pam's list of things to relive from her German glory days. And I'd have to say, seeing her face light up like a kid's on Christmas when she got that bratwurst in a brötchen topped with mustard, was definitely worth it (especially to witness the ensuing victory dance). 
 I also made them expand their wurst repertoire and try currywurst! I'd say it was a success.


Finally there were all the bakeries. Trust me when I say we couldn't make a day without our trips to the bakery. I know bakery isn't really up there on the list of German stereotypes with beer and bratwurst. But for anyone who's spent any length of time in this country will tell you that there is nothing anywhere that compares to a German bakery. 
We never came home without our daily picks from the bakery. By the end, our collection was a little out of control, but it was all just so delicious! 
(please note, this picture was taken after we were done chowing down)
So if you ever make it out to Germany, with seals of approval from my mom and grandma, don't forget to try the essential three Bs: Beer, Bratwurst, and Bakeries. 

3 comments:

Alex, Speaking Denglish said...

love the 3 Bs! So fun you had visitors… I want visitors soon!

Anonymous said...

Just wondering...how often per day (or per week?) did you study the German language? I've been studying German on my own, I love it, but I feel kind of stuck in a rut and it feels a bit impossible.

Jenni Austria Germany said...

aw, this reminds me of the time in koln when we ate at the bakery and those people started chatting it up with us...and i waited in line for like an hour to get that pastry and then got mad and left...and then i wanted a donut...and then you found that chalkboard in the trash....and then we went back to find adelheid and she was so surprised to see you!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...