Tuesday, December 6, 2011

On the 1st day of Christmas, my true love gave to me...

... an Advent Calendar in the Forchheim Rathaus.
The Forchheimer Weihnachtsmarkt may not be the biggest Christmas market in all of Germany, but set up right in picturesque Rathausplatz, it was definitely full of Christmas charm! Not to mention, the snow last year set the perfect Christmas mood. I wandered over to the Weihnachtsmarkt pretty much everyday after school and Gemma and I made the trek back into town on quite a few evenings as well. 
The crown jewel of the Forchheimer Weihnachtsmarkt is the Advent Calendar the City hall is turned into. Each window represents a day leading up to Christmas and every night at 6pm an "angel" opens the window, sprinkles a little faery dust and reads a poem. Just watch...
If you think this little living Advent Calendar is pretty adorable, you wouldn't alone. The Adventskalender Forchheim is locally famed as the most beautiful Advent Calendar. Now, I'm a little hazy on the details. I'm not really sure what arena we're playing in. The most beautiful in the world? the country? the region? the city? Also, I feel the need to wonder how the very subjective quality of beauty can be objectively quantified as "the most beautiful." But, I dare not question the title to the very proud locals. And I can't deny that it is quite a beautiful Advent Calendar, regardless of the validity of the claim. 



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...