Monday, August 23, 2010

the art of leaving

I would like to dedicate my first post to the man who checked my bags.

I had already paid an extra $50 to bring a second bag (you're only allowed one), each at a weight limit of 50lbs. Anything above that would result in a $150 fee! After packing and repacking all night, slowing convincing myself I don't need this jacket or that soap, my bags weighed in at an unfortunate 56lbs and 53lbs. So there we were, my mom and I, on the airport sidewalk -- toss the mac and cheese; keep the horn, but lose the mute; move some magazines to my carryon... in our struggle one of the street check-in men came over to see if he could help. He carried the bags over to his scale, now weighing 51lbs and 52lbs. A total of 3lbs over! So he says to me "normally I would say just put all the extra weight in one bag, so it's only $150, but I'll take care of you." He printed my boarding pass and sent me on my way without a single fee. So if that's any sign for what's to come this year, looks like it's all gonna work out!


Now I'm just sitting at the airport, broke down and bought internet because I have about 2 hours to kill...

I'll land in London at 7am local time (2am EST) and have about 5 hours to kill before catching my train to Edinburgh. The train is another 4.5 hours, getting me to Edinburgh around 6pm. Putting my total travel time at a grand total of 20 hours (25 if you count from when I left Athens). I think I'll sleep well.


2 comments:

melanie.erwin said...

Props to the bag guy! That was really nice of him. I hope your traveling goes smoothly and you're not too bored out of your mind trying to kill time in between your planes and trains :)

lion's_cradle said...

Way to go bag guy! Hell yes for that Southern "we'll take care of you" mentality. What are you going to do in London? Please say that you're off to see some fabulous something or other, wander around high fashion, and check hot English dudes... :) I hope the travels work well for you and that everything goes as you like it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...